Dually Truck vs. Non-Dually Truck – Pros and Cons of Each
Dually trucks and non-dually trucks are different in that they have different capabilities and purposes. The most obvious difference between the truck models are the dual rear wheels that a dually has versus the typical single rear wheels that a standard pickup truck has. The extra set of wheels gives a dually advantages and disadvantages. Learn more about both dually and non-dually trucks below, if you are struggling to choose which is best for you, this information will serve you well.
As previously mentioned, a dually truck is a standard truck with an extra set of wheels in the rear. The reason most people would choose a dually over a non-dually truck has nothing to do with style and everything to do with capability. The extra set of wheels allows for more capability.
- Increased maximum towing and payload capacities.
- More stable for a trailer specifically in a windy situation (therefore, added safety when needed).
- Perfect for a 5th wheel trailer or a larger and heavier haul.
- Decreased fuel economy.
- Can be more difficult to park and drive because of the wider and heavier body to accommodate extra wheels.
- More expensive purchase cost of the truck.
- Less comfortable ride without a load.
A non-dually truck is a standard four wheel truck. Even if a non-dually truck doesn’t have as much towing capacity, it still has many upsides to it as well. Not to mention, for most every day drivers, a non-dually is a perfectly suitable choice.
- A more affordable truck option.
- Better fuel economy.
- Perfectly capable of towing if you are an everyday driver with little need to tow heavy loads.
- More comfortable ride without a load.
- Lower towing capability and less capable when it comes to stability when towing in windy conditions.
- Duallies are safer in a blowout situation. If a tire blows out in a standard four-wheel truck it may be more dangerous.
- Easier driving, parking and handling.
Interested in a new truck? We have plenty of Ram trucks both heavy duty and light duty, dually and non-dually to go around. Check out our University Ram inventory here.