The Demon Possessed 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye
Named the “most powerful, quickest, and fastest muscle car,” the 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye models are officially rolling off the production line. The heart of this beast is powered by a supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI high output V8 engine that produces 797 horsepower and 707 lb-ft of torque. Dodge continues to push the performance envelope, and for the 2019 model year, they are introducing the most powerful and supercharged SRT Hellcat lineup ever with horsepower output, now starting at 717. But wait, there’s more…
For the 2019 model year, all Challenger SRT Hellcat models will feature a new, fully functional, dual-snorkel hood that pays tribute to the infamous 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger and the 1971 Dodge Demon. The 2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye also receives all-new badging, including a “Sister Redeye” that is featured on the fender hellcat badges, instruments panel, key fobs, and supercharger housing. Now, ya’ll may not know this, but Dodge actually took several components from the Challenger SRT Demon V8 engine and added them into the SRT Hellcat engine for 2019. Queue in the 797-horsepower 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye.
“With 840 horsepower, a 9.65 quarter-mile time and Guinness World Record certification that it’s the first production car to lift the wheels at launch, the Dodge Challenger SRT Demon earned its place in the record books,” said Steve Beahm – Head of Passenger Cars, Dodge//SRT, Chrysler and FIAT, FCA North America. “The Dodge Brothers would be proud that we’re leveraging the power and performance of this proven engine to bring a Demon-possessed Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye to an even wider high-performance enthusiast audience.”
Heat is the ultimate enemy of any high-performance vehicle, so the engineers at Dodge//SRT began to look for alternative ways to maintain the intake air as close to the highest temperature as possible. For starters, the engine’s imposing power output is air – the new fully functional low-restriction, dual snorkel hood is sealed to the air box. Once the air catcher headlamp is combined with an inlet near the wheel liner, the high output engine of the SRT Hellcat Redeye receives an 18 percent greater airflow rate compared to last years SRT Hellcat Engine. At full power, this would be the equivalent flow rate to 89 adults simultaneously emptying their lungs in one second.
Standard on the Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye is the innovative, award-winning SRT Power Chiller. The Power Chiller diverts the air conditioning refrigerant from the interior cabin to a chiller unit located by the low-temperature circuit cooling pump. Once the air coolant is charged, after being cooled by ambient air passing through a low-temperature radiator at the front of the vehicle, it flows through the chiller unit and is further cooled. As a result, the chilled coolant flows to the heat exchangers in the supercharger.
According to Dodge, all 2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Models are equipped with tons of standard performance features, including:
- Adaptive Damping Suspension: SRT-tuned Bilstein three-mode Adaptive Damping Suspension system includes: Auto Mode = sporty but compliant ride; Sports Mode = firm, maximum handling; Track Mode = firm, maximum handling plus performance shifting and gear-holding feature.
- Braking system: Braking power comes from the standard Brembo brake system with two-piece, 15.4-inch front rotors and six-piston front calipers for outstanding heat management, thermal capacity, and longevity.
- Electric power steering (EPS): Electric power steering delivers an improved grip on the steering wheel and ease of turning efforts at parking lot speeds. It can be calibrated to optimize steering effort for a variety of driving situations via settings in the SRT Performance Pages.
- Launch Assist: Launched on the Challenger SRT Demon as a factory-production car first, Launch Assist helps resolve one of the biggest challenges to clean launches and driveline integrity – wheel hop, which happens when tires quickly slip and regain traction at launch, rapidly storing up and releasing energy in the driveline. If the hop is detected, the engine control module momentarily reduces torque to maximize traction almost instantly – without the driver having to lift the throttle. Launch Assist reduces loads in the driveline from wheel hop by up to 20 percent.
- Torque Reserve becomes active once the engine speed passes 950 rpm. The system closes the bypass valve, “prefilling” the intake with boost, manages fuel flow to cylinders and manages spark timing to balance engine rpm and torque.
- Launch Control holds the engine at optimal launch RPM and waits for the driver to release the brake. Launch Control then uses engine torque management to optimize wheel slip for maximum acceleration. All 2019 Challenger models with Launch Control receive an improved system that increases hold time from five to 10 seconds for optimal launch and consistent straight-line acceleration.
- Line Lock engages the front brakes to hold the Challenger stationary but leaves the rear wheels free for a burnout to heat up and clean the rear tires. The system will also let the driver perform a controlled rolling burnout and can engage for up to 200 rear wheel revolutions.
- Larger induction air box, now with three sources of intake air – new dual-snorkel hood, driver-side Air Catcher headlamp, and an inlet near the wheel liner.
- SRT Drive Modes accessed via the 8.4-inch Uconnect touchscreen, drivers can tailor their experience by adjusting horsepower, transmission shift speeds, steering effort, paddle shifters, traction and suspension settings. SRT Drive Modes offer selectable settings for Street (Auto), Sport, and Track. There is also a Custom setting for the driver to select individual preferences.
- SRT Performance Pages bring critical vehicle performance data to the driver’s fingertips, including a real-time dyno graph, g-force heat map, and much more
From the SRT Hellcat to the SRT Demon and now the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye, Dodge is sparing no expense in giving their consumers exactly what they want. Located in Davie, FL, stop by University Dodge and test drive any of our available 2019 Dodge Challenger vehicles. For more information on our entire used car inventory selection, visit our website or follow us on social media.